2.07.2011

*la avena

There's a newish health food store here that carries mostly items in bulk. I found out that if you buy really in bulk - like an entire 50 lb. bag of organic oats - you get an even bigger discount. So a friend and I [thankfully!] split the 50 lb. and now I feel like I'm in a race to use these up before they get "buggy" - as a lady from church informed me. 25 lbs. is even more than I thought it would be...

We've been eating lots of oatmeal, served with mashed banana, cinnamon and milk [Vera's favorite breakfast until she was introduced recently to honey nut cheerios.]. I personally have been eating a TON of granola. I tweaked my friend's recipe a bit and seriously LOVE it. In plain yogurt, milk or even on a peanut butter dipped spoon :) We also just made these really good oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip cookies that I found on epicurious. I have yet to make my mom's oatmeal bread, but it's next on my list - you can see how much I like that bread on my other blog [that I haven't written on in a year or so]. Jenny, how are you faring?? I keep meaning to ask! Anyway, here's the granola recipe if you're interested, which you should be :)

:::::
3 C oats
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C almond meal
2 T wheat germ
1/4 C brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger

1/4 C oil (I like coconut oil!)
1/4 C honey
1/4 C milk
a few handfuls of toasted almonds and grated coconut (best added near the end)

bake @ 300 for 50-60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
:::::

3 comments:

Ryan. Beth. Pierce. Paige. Ollie. said...

excited to try your granola recipe. I have a few I love, but love trying new ones too!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm. Definintely make the bread. And then buy a 25lb. bag of potatos and make potato bread!

Anonymous said...

oat in french is avoine