6.08.2011

*una lista

I love lists. My sister's friend had a blog devoted to just lists of things which I thought was a great idea [she hasn't posted a new one in at least a year - are you reading this?]. Isn't it fun to get inspired suddenly to write a random list? I hate when a good list starts in my head when I'm out on a walk or something without a pen.

Anyway, I found this one in my cookbook binder today and I think I'm going to put it up in my cupboard. It's always so hard to think of what to make for dinner! This was a list of the top 20 meals I make on a semi-regular basis. I would really love to hear anyone's -say- top 5 list in the comments :) I like new ideas and am more likely to make it if someone I know [and trust] says make this!

In no particular order. With comments because I feel like commenting on them:

1. spaghetti
2. 5 1/2 hour no peek stew [via Rosie]
3. broccoli pasta [a nostalgic favorite from San Diego days and my friend, SH. Ben doesn't love it.]
4. chile verde [I have no idea how this made it on the list. maybe I made it for the first/only time that day]
5. meatloaf
6. rice and bean bowls w/ salsa, avocado, etc. [I could eat this every other day]
7. tomato/feta/basil/pinenut pasta [via Rosie. I it! ask if you want the recipe!]
8. lasagne [I like it w/ italian sausage, spinach, bechamel, red sauce and lots of mozzarella]
9. meat + vegetable [so simple but I never think of it. what my parents eat every day]
10. taco soup [via Jenny. soo good]
11. chinese chicken salad [Rosie's recipe is the best]
12. grilled cheese and tomato soup
13. chicken pot pie [I only made it once but Ina Garten's recipe is SO GOOD]
14. empanadas [I use an old recipe from saveur... I love empanadas. I could eat like 20]
15. crockpot chicken w/ greens [I made this once. can't remember]
16. pizza [jamie oliver's dough recipe + tips from Benji at Luna Notte: milk and honey]
17. baked rigatoni with italian sausage, marinara and mozzarella
18. creamy polenta [ben doesn't love polenta: I do.]
19. pasta genovese [a favorite from a jamie oliver cookbook: pesto, green beans, potatoes, parmesan]
20. macaroni and cheese

and 5 more I added today:
21. spiced lentil tacos [epicurious.com]
22. burritos with refried beans, cilantro rice and homemade tortillas [made with coconut oil, yum]
23. pasta salad with leftover chicken, random vegetables and a little balsamic vinegar
24. grilled burgers [how was this not on my original 20?]
25. panini with prosciutto and grilled summer vegetables. [so so good, I always forget about this one.]

and Ben added:
26. fish and chips [we get this good frozen battered cod at whole foods and those frozen sweet potato fries. yum. vera loves dipping the fish in malt vinegar!]

*please do add a mini list in the comments!* even if it's just carob chips ;)

2 comments:

Jessie said...

we hardly ever cook anymore, but i'm looking forward to the day when we have more time. some of our stand-bys, in no particular order:

1. fried rice (Mark Bittman's riff on jean-georges vongerichten's is so nums)

2. rock creek chili with lots of cheddar, red onions & sour cream on top. & jalapeno corn bread.

3. ina garten's potato/basil frittata. we cut the fat in hers by using cottage cheese instead of ricotta and swiss cheese instead of gruyere and half the butter. we've eaten this for dinner several times; it's fantastic.

4. chicken & matzo ball soup. YUM.

5. borscht. so good. i'm partial to my recipe. i'll send it to you if you're at all interested.

mm, now i'm hungry :)

ann.e said...

thank you, Jessie! everyone, you can trust her taste :)