5.30.2013

*family visit

My parents were out here for a week and we had a great time, seeing a lot of the area.  Here are a bunch of the pictures we took::

On our way to Portsmouth, New Hampshire we stopped here in Marblehead for lunch and a look-around. It was so quaint and pretty.

look at this adorable garden shed!



We also stopped in Salem for a couple hours - I'd love to go back and read more about the history [Ben would like to point out that popular opinion puts the Puritans in a poor light, when really the leaders of the church condemned the trials. Thankfully I am married to a History Professor :)]. I'd heard there was a lot of cheesy witch references, but it really wasn't that bad.  I just love seeing these old old Puritan houses:



at the Strawberry Banke museum in Portsmouth where they've preserved and recreated life there from the 1600s to WW2 era - we all loved it!!

dinner at a fancy restaurant. the girls were amazing! whew.


enjoying her gnocchi:

My mushroom arancini. I feel like arancini were invented with me in mind :)



Vera was so proud and happy to make our coffee in the hotel room. Ah I love to stay in a hotel : )




exploring the garden at strawberry banke:


playing kitchen:

Vera thought the weaving and spinning yarn was especially fascinating. I'd love to get her started in some craftiwork...



Edie wanted to do it her way:


a 300-or-so year old loom:

my dad talking it up with the cooper:

it rained almost the whole time they were here:

John Adams was born in Quincy and we finally went on the tour of his and John Quincy Adams' birthplaces and farm. This is a replica of Abigail's desk.


We went down to New Bedford to check out the whaling museum. My great great great grandfather, Bela Franklin Ward, was a seaman on a whaling ship until a Nantusket sleigh ride made him quit and move west. We tried to find his name somewhere.. don't think we were able to, but it was neat to see it all!



A quick ride on the swan boats before we took them to the airport:

It was a wonderful time all around - does us good to have loved ones share in our life here!


1 comment:

tinywhitecottage said...

Looks like such a fun time Anne! We would love to visit this area. You must be having a great time back East. A bit of a different culture than the West Coast, right?