9.22.2013

*seis años


::: first day of first grade :::

It's so crazy to look back on photos and videos and realize how much Vera's grown and changed.  I feel like I used to document little snapshots of her more often, and would like to get back into it.  Sooo... at 6 years, Vera:

- is still in the beginning stages of reading. She gets frustrated very quickly with it and doesn't seem to have her usual determination when it comes to working hard to learn.  I try to show her how far she's already come and how easy those little 3 letter words are now, but I think she is just impatient with it. She still very much enjoys being read to and looking through her books, so that's good.  Favorite books at the moment are Too Many Pumpkins, The Donut Chef, The Velveteen Rabbit, One Morning in Maine ...  I'll think of more.

- is still very creative and loves to think up little projects and crafts on her own. I can't find it at the moment, but she made Edie an adorable little book called "Animals are cyoot", and drew a different animal on each page with "Bunnys are cyoot", etc. She loves making cards for her friends and family and has a little 'signature' thing she does on the back of each one with their name framed in a little heart curlicue. I love to think what her creativity and talent will look like when she's older. On the other hand, she seems to hold herself back a lot because she wants a drawing to be "perfect" and gets easily upset if she thinks it isn't, then she will just refuse to continue :/

- in other things, she shows a lot of determination to perfect a skill. For a while she wanted to go to the playground every day to practice monkey bars, and she still wants Ben to sit and score her cartwheels for her.

- is still very much a rule follower.  She even told me on a ride at Disneyland that I was supposed to keep my hands in the boat :)  She also really fights riding her scooter or bike to school with me because last year they were told not to [a whole 'nother story.. did I write about that ever?]

- is usually a very good big sister. They don't get along as dreamily as they did before Edie hit ~1.5, but they play often and laugh a lot together. Frankly, Edie is still quite the stinker and I am proud of Vera for the amount of patience she shows!! She doesn't seem to mind her tagging along with friends, although sometimes I know she and the friend will play spy and pretend to 'lose' Edie, who thankfully is oblivious.

- is very very loving and tells me and Ben often that she loves us so much. I have so many little notes and cards from her, I don't know what to do with them all!

***

Her party was really fun ... and really big. I didn't know how to cut it down to a few friends, so I invited everyone!! and their siblings and moms too!  It was quite stressful having just moved in, but I'm glad we did it.  One thing I wish I'd taken a picture of was the little sea scape snow globes we made - they turned out really cute! Rosie made similar ones with the girls in CA and so we made them too [Vera wanted a mermaid theme].

Here they are searching for little paper fish that they turned in for skittles.  I hid an Ariel and a King Triton for a bigger prize. My mom had reminded me how much we loved treasure hunts when we were little!!


mermaid piñata

My great-granny Mae's cupcakes were well-liked:


Some of her creations.. a little laptop she made for Edie - which Edie thoroughly loved!



drawn in church - with no prompting :)


I love this Toca Boca  game - she designed this little dress using a picture I took at Red Butte gardens, I thought it was really cute!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vera is so pretty! (top picture in school outfit)