12.15.2008

*a true toddler


Vera started clearly saying the dreaded "no" a week or two ago. I noticed she'd copy me when I spill something and say "oh nooo!", which was kind of cute. A few nights ago Ben asked if she wanted to get out of the tub three times, and each time she gave him a clear no. This morning she started a game where she holds something out to Stella or me, and just as we go to take it, she swings it back around and says no! I don't like this game very much, and am at a bit of a loss [and I feel like I'm being duped, because every time I think she really is giving me the object. she's very convincing.] My first reaction is to say [obviously], "no, Vera!" What do you suggest?

4 comments:

Emily said...

just ignore it~easier said than done, but she wants your reaction. i think they're so cute saying no all the time, too bad it is a bad habit...

Ryan. Beth. Pierce. Paige. Ollie. said...

uh-oh ... looks like vera needs a little time out. :)

Jenny said...

Hmmm, I think I'd just say, "Vera, that is not a nice game." and then move on. Like Emily said, she is really just trying to get a reaction using her new found power of expression. Amelia has gone through two short phases of saying "No" when I ask her to share something but it usually phases out pretty quickly. Of course, you just do what you think will work best for you and that little cutie V.

Melissa Abby said...

If you figure something out let me know so I can do it when Grant starts saying no :)