8.14.2009

*despedida

I wasn't sure if I'd write about this here, because, well, it's kind of embarrassing. and humiliating. and maddening and unfair. But I think it's good for me to get it out - especially in writing [it's a long one: I guess we can consider it just a catharsis for me, not obligatory for you to read :)]. Because I have been turning it over and over in my head and am feeling a knot in my stomach that won't go away. Also this way I won't have to explain it a hundred times. So anyway, I got FIRED on Wednesday. I don't think I have ever been fired before and like I said, it's embarrassing.

So I walked in to work and my boss (who you might remember me saying is a bad bad person) sat me down and read a list of grievances. I keep thinking about this, and I truly believe that they were pretty much all false [I don't pay attention to details, I don't run food enough, I don't tell tables about the restaurant, I'm an insubordinate??]. The only one I can give him any credit for is that I can be timid at tables - which has been the case maybe twice when it was someone important and intimidating. I truly believe that I worked really hard and conscientiously at this job and I got the same impression from my customers. I don't want to go too into detail about my manager, but I will say that from the beginning I have never been treated in such a demeaning, condescending, you-are-an-ignorant-piece-of-shit manner. The thing is, it's such an amazingly wonderful company [the original market I mean] and he just does not fit in with the atmosphere of it all.

I've written a letter to the owner and am really not sure if I should send it. What would you do? I don't want to come off as spiteful at all, because I don't want to further alienate myself from such a great place [I mean where will I get my cheese??]. On the other hand, I really want him to be aware of how his manager acts. A person that will call a customer a "stupid f***ing b****" just out of earshot and [1/4 jokingly] told me he'd punch me "in the f***ing face" if I cut the butter on the wrong counter?

Let me end this happily. Obviously I believe God works everything for good. I am mad, my pride is hurt and I'm sad to not be a part anymore of such an awesome place, but I am also home with my family and away from an environment that was really affecting me negatively. I really want to move on and not dwell and just be thankful.

One thing I can be thankful for is that we're leaving tomorrow for the Sierras!!!!



11 comments:

momandpop said...

Take the letter in. Before you leave town. Include the QUOTES. (Does this seem like harassment to you?)

If the owner reads your letter, reads the quotes, and doesn't have some really supportive words for you and regret over the behavior of his manager, then feel no regret. Great cheese, great concept, but not the right spirit. A humane spirit.

Praying still.

Love you, Rosie

anjuli paschall said...

hi...
i have been fired once too.. and it sucked! especially when I had a million reasons why I was in the right and they were in the wrong. It hurts and yes, my pride was hit pretty hard. The truth is that nothing I could have said (though i wanted to say something) would have made a difference. I had to hold to the truth that I was loved by God (and many others) even if the people at this company were lame. give it some time and you will be feeling better. oh- and time with cute Vera and you will be feeling better in no time.

and if you are ever in san diego i would LOVe to take your pictures :)

Heather said...

I'm sorry to hear about this, Annie. Sounds like your boss was an a-hole. How could be be mean to such a sweet 'lil thing. Plus I know first hand that you know your wine, cheeses and pasta :) Whatever, his loss! xoxo

Jeremy, Julie, Eva and Kate said...

Sadly, your boss is suffering...and this is causing him to be a pathetic person.

I am sure it is really hard...but I would say don't send the letter.

The owner will hear you were fired and realize that the manager let go one of the BEST!

On a positive note it will be so nice to get rid this negative part of your week:) BIG HUGS AND KISSES!

flying to Reno on Thursday... any chance to see you?

Unknown said...

oh my. WOW Anne. That sounds crazy, i cannot believe you held on for as long as you did. Take that letter in sister !

Em and Jud said...

What a hard situation to go through - I'm sorry it had to end so negatively, (that manager could not be nastier) but your positive thoughts going forward will certainly help.

Have a great trip!

Melissa Abby said...

That is so crazy! Who would ever fire you? He obviously has problems! Have a fun trip and don't even think about it, enjoy yourself :)

Ryan. Beth. Pierce. Paige. Ollie. said...

Look at all your supportive friends. I am glad you posted this. You certainly do not deserve to be treated in this manner - we all know that you are the go to for cheese, wine, and cuisine in our circles!! :) In fact, I make it a practice to always make something if you say it is good. (I've made every recipe you've posted on your blog!)

Second, I agree with momandpop. You should most definitely give the owner your letter. And, on the plus side -- I'm pretty sure you can order anything from the internet. :) Or, you could get Boone a friend ... a goat!

ann.e said...

thanks friends :)

Katie said...

I'd send it. The owner should know what kind of moron is running his restaurant to let someone so awesome as yourself go...

chin up,*kt

KRK or RK said...

I am glad you shared this story with us (your blog readers). I think it shows us what a strong person you are. I think if you or any of us learn anything from your experience it is that we should always treat everyone with respect. You might not change your boss but your story will certainly have an impact on the rest of us. -Shinners