8.03.2009

*paletas de coco

¡cheers!

I've always wanted to recreate the delicious coconut popsicles I ate every.single.day during the month Kendra and I traveled through Mexico. I thought I would attempt to perfect a recipe, but to be honest, I've been a little lazy. The very first recipe I stumbled on through Google proved to be pretty good and I've been making a few batches a week. My favorite part, perhaps, is that we get to use the same molds/sticks that we had when I was little. Most are all chewed up - which I totally remember doing :)

Coconut Popsicles
I actually usually halve this recipe and it still makes a lot, but these are the measurements from the original recipe.

1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar [or a little less. also, I recently bought some agave nectar to use instead and it's really good! I use a little less than what it calls for]
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups coconut milk, homemade or canned [I've been using canned. also shaved coconut from the bulk section at w.foods]
2 cups fresh (best) or dried shredded coconut

In a saucepan, combine the milk and sugar and stir over low heat for 5 minutes [with the agave nectar, I skipped this step] to dissolve the sugar; be careful not to scald the milk. Stir in the vanilla extract and let cool to room temperature.

Combine the coconut milk or coconut water, the shredded coconut, and the milk and vanilla mixture, then pour into your molds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are delicious! Last night I ate all of mine and some of Vera's ! :) :) Jen

Heather said...

Thanks for the post. Trav is loving popsicles these days, so we're definitely going to be making them soon.

Anonymous said...

I remember chewing those sticks too. Very vividly in fact...