10.24.2011

*la mayor

My relationship with Vera has really changed over the last year or so. Even when I was still pregnant, things were beginning to change as I was just so tired and uncomfortable. I should have written about this sooner, because it's evolved so much since even six months ago. I would say that during Edie's first few months I really 'mourned' the loss of our close relationship. I mean it's inevitable that we can't be tied at the hip like we were - total buddies, doing everything together always.  I will say that especially at the beginning I made a conscious effort to give Vera extra love, to include her in meaningful ways with the new baby and I think I did a good job at it. But, inevitably, caring for a newborn requires constant attention, attention that is often diverted away from the other child. I felt this sense of loss and it made me really really sad. During the last year, then, Vera has grown even closer with her dad [they have always been pretty close] and I felt the distance; I felt the preference for him. It hurt. Like when she told me a while ago that she wanted him to put her to bed, because "he's my favorite." It's obviously not a competition, but I was sad for the distance I felt widening between us.*

I actually started this several months ago and just found it in the drafts. Even since then I feel things have settled down in this area and I am less emotional about it.  Partly it's just the way things are.  I remember writing a long post right after I nursed Vera for the last time - I felt that tiny change, that first separation and knew it would never be the same.  Since then it's been a slow moving away, moving towards becoming her own little person.  I think with Edie I know what's coming and it makes me so sad - I just want to s.l.ow. it all down and keep my baby, my baby.  I think Vera and I have found other ways to be close, and I want to keep encouraging that.  Anyway...  I just love these two so SO much, that's all.




*Have you seen the episode of Modern Family where Phil is "the fun one?" Well that's us - haha.  I'm Claire. I am the serious one, the let's please eat your dinner now, enough silliness!  That's been hard - because obviously the 4 year old is going to gravitate to the fun one.  I had a bit of a hard time with that but am feeling fine now - I just need to spend quality time with my kids in a way that's me - walking at the park, cooking, drawing, reading, making things, etc.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I teared up! I am in pain, on pain meds, and pms-ing...

momandpop said...

I love you.


As mothers, I don't think we ever get over the loss of that complete dependency and tender intimacy. I still miss my little friendies. Think of them in the garden, reading their books, playing with each other.

Just continue to savor each precious, unforgettable moment.

Beyondpeasncarrots said...

Your words ring so true.. I have/do feel this constantly with Madeline and I find real comfort in your words. I have just told myself that as I continue to show her love - even though it looks different than daddies - that is the most important thing and that is what her little heart and soul will remember... But, to make you feel better "claire dunfey" should be my middle name! So you are not alone..