1.24.2013

*ya llegamos

After a very easy day of travel, we arrived here on Tuesday night!  Seriously, the girls were so good and cooperative.  Edie almost started to have a little fit at the end of the last flight, but finally snuggled into my side and said, "I want to be nice." ?? never heard that from her before.

Anyway so we've been here two days - which from my experience moving around is not enough to say how you are really doing.  Basically we have just hunkered down in our empty one bedroom apartment/dorm because it is unbelievably cold outside.  I think like 12 degrees and -man- the wind is ICY.  Our things have not arrived yet either, so there isn't unpacking to do. I have made calls about insurance, getting Vera in school, took her for a physical, refined my resume, took myself out for lattes and tea [we did finally borrow a pot today to heat water].. that's about it. The girls play on their new bunkbed [yes it's way more stressful than I thought. and taller... ben and I had some miscommunication :)] and I have been reading my book Cutting for Stone and checking my phone 20 times a day :)  Ben is busy teaching and preparing for both his classes and setting up to direct a new Boston semester program he will be in charge of.

I can't really tell you much about the town... I know one street pretty well, but cannot tell you which way is north. Isn't that how it is when you first move? At first you get to know your tiny area and are terrified to leave its perimeter... every day you are a little more comfortable and in a few months you know it all.  I'm ok with being where I am on day 2 :)

Posing next to our massive amount of luggage - I tried to keep it simple, but things kept appearing while we were packing!  The side sling here was SO helpful for holding Edie and having my hands free.  I have always liked being out on my own like this, figuring out logistics [we were in Seattle for almost a week].


cuties on the plane. here they were excited about "ordering" their pretzels and oj:



new bunkbed! bedding hasn't arrived, but we are borrowing from some good friends [the McCoys for any of you plnu folks]  Edie transitioned well from her pac n play [which she has slept in since forever] to a big girl bed!


Vera immediately [without asking :/] decorated the inside slats of the top bunk.  She is very proud of her work and I guess it's fine since you can't see it from the outside.


first meal - at the student commons. it is so weird to be on a college campus!! with kids! hahahah one of my friends said she hopes the girls don't gain a freshman 15 :)  I hope I don't!!  Once our stuff arrives we will be able to eat in our apartment better.


the view from our window:

*more soon!*

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it all :)

Joel Ryan said...

I laughed at your bunk bed miscommunication. We have the same one. I cut the legs off because it was "too high".

Jenny said...

I can't believe you are *there*, starting a new phase of life!!! I feel so out of touch- but I'll give you a call soon. Love you guys and are cheering you on from SLC!

Jenny said...

* we are * is what i meant to write.
P.S. Funny, I despise being on my own and figuring out logistics. I always feel harried, nervous, and on edge. haha

auntie j said...

ditto liz. love love. and loooove vera's drawing of ben's hair. it's hysterical. it looks like a mortar boare..the forever-graduate :)

auntie j said...

whoops.. mortar boarD.