3.18.2013

*el acento

One of my favorite things here is hearing the accent. There are a lot of transplants and internationals here too, so not everyone has it.  I just love it when I hear a good, solid, I've-lived-here-my-whole-life version. Like the guy at the post office - he's got the best I've heard so far. I've loved overhearing people talk about getting out their snowblowah or the lady at the pediatrician's office saying I have reached Havad Vangahd [Harvard Vanguard].  When I talked to the school secretary on the phone the first time I couldn't tell what her name was. It sounded like O-land-a. So the next time I asked for Mrs. Orlander, thinking her last 'a' was an 'ar'... but it turned out to be Orlando :) My favorite is this girl Vera met who goes by Sarah Dilababa because there are two other Sarahs. I recently learned that her name is Della Barba. Ahhhhh I love it. I don't have a lot of people to comment on this with, so I share it here with you!  Vera's school is really interesting - I would say half of the parents speak Chinese. Also about six kids in her class are Irish... so we have Boston accents, Irish accents, Chinese... it's all very interesting.

2 comments:

Melissa Abby said...

That's awesome! I remember the first couple days we lived there and I ordered something at Dunkin Donuts and I had no clue what the girl was asking me about what I wanted in my coffee :)

Ryan. Beth. Pierce. Paige. Ollie. said...

LOVE this!! Getting caught up on your blog. Life has been nearly unmanageable here. In Texas, someone suggested I go get a taco while I waited for a store to open. This post reminded me of that. ;)

Also, there are certain words that Ryan's LI accent really comes through on. Like, "Flahhrida" or "Pahhmer" (Palmer, AK). lol. I thought Palmer would make a really cute name, except our poor kid would be confused as to what their name actually was.