3.17.2013

*la lectura

I have tried several times over the last couple years to get through a chapter book with Vera.  Either things get busy and we never solidify the habit or she isn't super interested - or both.  I admit I was totally jealous of her little friends who seemed to be flying through the Little House books, Narnia, etc. Of course, jealousy and competition should not be my motivation :) Really, I just want so badly for her to have that same reading experience that I did - lost in those amazing and wonderful worlds!!  I was such a reader when I was little, literally devouring books and reading both those series multiple times.  So anyway, thankfully in January we found the book that kept all of us captivated - James and the Giant Peach! It was so fun to read together - I didn't even want to miss out if Ben were reading on a particular night.

Since then we read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory [one of my faaavorites] and are in the middle of the first Boxcar Children.  It made my heart happy to hear her exclaim last night, "I wish I was one of the boxcar kids!"  That's the kind of play I so loved as a kid - pretending to set up house in the woods, collecting berries and finding treasure :)  Anyway, I do hope that she loves to read as much as I did.  She's doing well on the road to reading on her own - she can sound out pretty well and reads the little Bob type books sent home from school, but I would say it hasn't "clicked" in a major way yet, which is just fine.





***