3.26.2013

*new haven

Several weeks ago we drove down to New Haven, Connecticut to visit some good friends we met while in Montana [yes, Liz is in CT too - they were tied up that weekend]. Crazy how all of us [plus four more kids all together] ended up out here 7 years later! Travis is getting his PhD in History at Yale University [no big deal] and he took us on a little campus tour.  I thought it was absolutely beautiful, amazing and inspiring.  I left with this lump in my throat saying I need to go back to finish my Masters.  Not at Yale ;)


This was one of the graduate student study halls.  Isn't it gorgeous??  I could get a lot of serious thinking done here.



This is the Beineke rare book and manuscript ... center (something like that).  I loved it!!! The whole building and feel of the place is just fascinating, and they also had really interesting examples up of the kinds of writings they keep.  This was one of the moments that I felt an intense desire to go back to studying literature.



This was a little exhibit up in the library on the Italian invasion of Ethiopia.  It was really interesting because I had just finished Cutting for Stone which talked a lot about that.



In the history graduate study room:



We went to their church on Sunday which was really wonderful as well.  Heartfelt singing, preaching and fellowship. This painting strikes you immediately when you enter - so beautiful!  The artist [a Japanese man.. don't know his name] happened to be at the service that day and talked a little about it.



Vera and Edie just loved being doted on by these girls. This is on top of their super-high loft.  They got along really well with the little brothers too and had fun being rowdy and silly.  They are really a wonderful family that clearly puts God first and does everything with joy.  The few times we've seen them since Montana I've left feeling inspired in so many ways.  I'm sorry I didn't get more/better pictures.


Myndi is an amazing cook!  Everything delicious and creative and effortless. And amazing home-roasted espresso a couple times a day : )




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading about your adventures!

Unknown said...

I love reading about your adventures!