8.15.2013

*rock creek 2013

Phase 2 of our trip was up to Rock Creek in the Sierras.  We hadn't been there since I was about 30 weeks pregnant with Edie!  It was a wonderful week filled with solid family time, good food, easy walks along the creek, the girls exploring and experiencing nature and lots of fishing.  I was bummed to not get to hike much like I did last time, but traded that for some good reading : )

Being in the Sierras was so incredibly refreshing to our souls. I had a new overwhelming appreciation for the mountains and their cool dry air.  The drive along 395 is one of the most beautiful places on the the planet - the lines and the horizon, green valleys and jagged peaks - to me it speaks of a skilled and awesome Creator.  So thankful for this time we had with Ben's family.




The boys and Melissa went on an off-roading locals-only fishing adventure.  I was slightly disappointed not to be able to go, tho on the other hand off-roading makes me so nervous!! Always afraid I'll fall off a cliff.



Meanwhile Rosie, Jessie, the girls and I had lunch at Schaat's and browsed antiques in Bishop.


Mosquito Flats:

Melissa, I wish you were in this picture!!


I read The Kitchen House [a good story... not amazing] and started The Shipping News.


before dinner at Convict Lake.  There was a huge fire near Mammoth and it was pretty smoky, but still beautiful.  My parents ate at that restaurant on their way to their honeymoon in '65!




fishing from the shore:





Fishing in the Owen's River Valley. The picture of the daisies in my title bar thing there are from this valley 5 years ago!



 Fishing on the creek. Vera was really into fishing - here she baited, cast and caught a fish on her own!!


We stayed in a little cabin, but Matty and Melissa camped close by. One of my favorite nights was sitting around the campfire here eating BBQ'd trout [again, Melissa, I'm sad you had left :( ]

 

Drawing with charcoal from the fire.



Edie is in love with Ben and Jessie's dog, Tula. She repeatedly asked us to take a picture of them together. Look how serious her pose is!



*395*