3.11.2014

*milestones

Vera finally lost her first tooth two days ago!  She has been waiting for this day for years - poor thing was the last of her class to lose one and has been wiggling the tooth since last May at least.  She is a full believer in the tooth fairy of course and wrote her a note asking to keep the tooth.  Thankfully I remembered the tooth fairy at the 2am nursing! 



If you've read anything about Waldorf education [I have just the basics], you probably know that they don't push a child to read before they're ready and that readiness to read often comes when the child begins to lose their baby teeth. I mentioned this to Vera and it's funny the little nudge of confidence it gave her over the last two days!  She believes that she is ready to read now, even though she really has been improving in the last couple months in her reading.  It's amazing to see how it's all clicking!  She's been sounding out the words in my old Calvin and Hobbes books every night at bed, easily reading instructions in her science and craft books, yesterday she read a whole card that a friend sent and just now she started reading my first paragraph!  I'm going to have to hide the page if she comes back to read about the tooth fairy :)  It's really so exciting and I tell her often how proud I am - I hope she loves to read as much as I did!!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

That is so cute (belief in the tooth fairy, the nudge to read, etc)! It is the most amazing thing to watch reading start to click- it's kind of miraculous! Same with hearing them start to talk. I'm experiencing both right now-milestone overload!:) Sammy is still waiting for his first loose tooth...I think Amelia has lost 4 now. He is way far ahead in the reading game. Silly Steiner. JUST kidding:)

Ryan. Beth. Pierce. Paige. Ollie. said...

Yay! Late baby teeth loosing must run in the family. :) Pierce hasn't lost one yet. Not even one loose.

Glad she's starting to want to read. The confidence to try is big to overcome. We're finally there, though, Pierce still doesn't LOVE to read and I have to sort of force him into his 20 minutes every day. Or at least I haven't found the right book yet.