9.06.2009

*en la cocina


One of my favorite things about having a garden has been to stock the freezer with pesto each summer/fall. I think it started way back when I housesat in San Diego. I don't know if she knows this [or if she reads this blog??] but I had grand plans to have her freezer stocked with pesto and pumpkin puree when they got back - only problem is I think I ate it all first :)


Anyway, this afternoon Ben took Vera for a little hike with Boone - something they haven't done in quite a while. Really the best gift he can ever give me is just an hour or two alone at home. By myself -cleaning or cooking usually- is for some reason so restorative. Restful and happy and nice.

[I wish you could have smelled this moment! mmmmmm]

So today I made and froze four batches of sage-walnut and regular basil-pinenut pesto. I also roasted some tomato sauce with our own(!) Romas, onion, garlic and neighbors' squash and bell pepper. I really love the idea of 'putting food away' like that. I haven't had too much success with actual canning [but will try again this year of course], so today I just froze everything. I used a new idea from my NEW FAVORITE BOOK and froze everything flat in its own ziploc - quite handy as it will all stack so nicely!



Ben and I ended our day with a lovey local-esque meal of which I don't have pictures: grass-fed [so elite :)] ribeye steaks, green beans from the market, an enormous and delicious Brandywine tomato from the garden with olive oil and himalayan pink [julie!] salt... and a yummy Spanish wine :) Mmmmm everything was delicious and perfect. We even ate in our actual dining room - right next to where Vera slept. A good day!

4 comments:

Joel said...

Go Anne Go! I was just thinking yesterday how I wanted us to get together one of these evenings and make something to freeze/can together. I am waaaay behind you in the food world, but maybe I would be good company?! Anyway, let's chat. Loving the book and have grand visions of chickens, gardens, canning, eating seasonally, oh my! jen

Jeremy, Julie, Eva and Kate said...

yum yum yum! do you really like the pink salt? I do love it:)

Anonymous said...

have you gotten to her cheesemaking chapter yet? - would be a great way to use your tomatoes + basil.. homemade caprese? :)

sarah said...

i bet your pest isn't as good as my pesto :)