9.20.2011

*la cocina


Like everyone else, I am LOVing the Fall bounty. That along with that slight difference in the light, the cool air in the morning, a sweet little baby more lovable every minute, Vera so glad to be back in school - well I am just feeling happy. I feel in a rush to eat as many fresh herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, herbs, basil (along with fresh mozzarella, goat cheese, feta...) as I can!! and wine, it goes pretty well with it all too. There's [almost] nothing I love better than pasta with fresh herbs, tomatoes, pinenuts, garlic and parmesan. This has actually been the worst year ever for my garden, especially for tomatoes. Bummer because I have the time and energy this year to can/preserve! Last year I had to force myself to can the remaining boxes and boxes that ripened in our basement after Edie was born. I think the cherry tree by the garden shaded it too much and I may not have watered enough in the beginning. Also it was a slow, wet start to the season and I know a lot of farmers haven't done as well. Not my neighbors though - theirs are exploding. and I know Tia doesn't mind if I hop over to borrow a few :)



My favorite way to preserve the tomatoes is making a roasted sauce and then just freezing it flat in ziplock bags. I got the recipe from this awesome Stonewall Kitchen harvest cookbook I have [maybe I've shared this before?]. Basically you just half a bunch of tomatoes [I scrape out most the seeds and liquid], quarter an onion or two, a couple whole cloves of garlic, some red pepper flakes and chop up any sort of vegetable you [or your neighbors] have: zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, bell pepper, fennel... Then drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper and roast it hot for about an hour, stirring once or twice in the middle. You can then add some fresh herbs, sugar or balsamic vinegar, puree it and then eat or freeze! It's especially good with rigatoni, italian sausage and mozzarella. I LOVE this!! It's so great to have in the freezer all winter.


We've been going through a pretty rough period with Vera. A lot to think about. One thing I realized [again] the other day is what a nice, sweet time we have together when she helps me make something in the kitchen.


When Vera was small, I rarely attempted to cook anything if she was awake. I guess I've figured out how to manage a little better. Edie will stay content in the ergo for a little while, in the high chair with some snacks for a bit and then is pretty happy to play around in the living room for a while too. I usually have time to make the thing, but not enough to clean up : )


I my plate from Granada!


Speaking of good eating, Ben and I got to go out last weekend for a really good dinner at the Copper Onion. We shared a really really amazing caesar salad, beets and fries. I had a tri-tip steak with chimichurri and fingerling potatoes and Ben had beef stroganoff on house-made pasta [that sounds gross. but it was amaaaaazing]. For dessert I had a goat cheese with quince paste. My whole meal felt "típico" of Argentina. So I was happy :) and the wine was so good! Juan Gil - look for it. Ben's mom treated us to the wine as a congrats to Ben who won a fellowship in the last week. He's been working so hard on his dissertation [chapter 3!] and it was a nice treat to go out.


No comments: