3.28.2008

*the cheerful life

Someone sent me an email recently and commented that [per the blog] our life here seems so peaceful and cheery. It is for the most part. However, I think this is kind of an exercise in finding the good in our days. Not that it's hard to find, but if you know me, you might know that I can tend to be a little ... negative. I remember one time finding out that someone thought I was a complainer. I was insensed -- what?! me? I relayed the information to Heather and Leslie [or was it Julie and Sarah?] and they gave each other a little twinkly-eyed look that told me that yes, it was true. Good thing I can laugh at myself, eh? So anyway, I just want you to know that although I share with you all the fun, cute happy times here at the Cater household, we [yes, mostly me] have our fair share of downtime. I struggle especially with patience with Vera [when she wakes up again after a 15 minute nap - this is getting better, by the way], with feeling unproductive [mostly not contributing any $$ to our destitute brokeness], with few good friends here [Jenny, I am so so thankful for you], with of course the usual feeling pasty and out of shape - with lots of things.

I've been reading the Psalms lately and am encouraged to be joyful, cheerful, glad, grateful ... even when we all feel like this:

(this, by the way, is lately how Vera expresses her despair)

2 comments:

Ryan. Beth. Pierce. Paige. Ollie. said...

And, I'm sure she appreciated you taking this picture instead of picking her up. :) Guess what? We're struggling a little with bedtime again. Now, it is because he can sit up and pull himself up in his crib on his own. Today it took over an hour and 45 minutes for him to fall asleep. I kept going up and tucking him back in. Aaaggh!

Em and Jud said...

Anne, your honesty is so refreshing. Vera and Ben are lucky to have you! I agree with you about finding (and rejoicing in) the positive parts of our daily lives. Even on trying days, there is so much to be thankful for.

I can't wait to see you!