3.01.2008

*el veintinueve

On the 29th of every month in Argentina it's traditional to eat ñoqui (gnocchi in Italian). The couple I lived with there, Elsa y Antonio, would always have them homemade. Elsa taught me how and it's really not that hard - just time consuming. So last night being the 29th, I really wanted to have them but didn't feel like making them. The whole point of the tradition is that at the end of the month, all you have left in the cupboard is potatoes and flour. That would make sense for Ben and I [having no income and all...] but no, I went to the little gourmet shop and bought some ñoquis that would have horrified Elsa at how much they cost. Oh well -- just this once. To be honest, they weren't as good as homemade. I did put them in my big serving bowl just like we did there. Elsa would place the fuente on the table and Antonio and I would fill up our plates - at least several times. There was always a bottle of tinto on the table as well as little baguettes that lay on tablecloth waiting to be torn up to soak up sauce. Favorite memories.

1 comment:

Emily said...

i remember making gnocchi with you at wilcox...so tasty. i have tried twice since, but never as good as when you made them. i think i need a refresher course!