10.03.2008

*los pañales


A few friends have asked me about using cloth diapers and I thought I would just share what's worked for us. To be completely honest, I was a bit of a wuss at first. I was really into the idea from way long ago and had them all stacked so pretty waiting for baby to come. Then I had a 9.25 lb. baby who didn't fit in the diapers I'd bought and pooped every hour: not conducive to motivated cloth-diapering. Not to mention the fact that [during the one week they did fit] her cute little newborn onesies wouldn't fit over her big bottom. So I used them off and on for the first two months and then forewent them completely until about 6 months when I kicked myself for letting those diapers I'd paid for sit there while I bought disposables. I feel pretty comfortable now and am hoping baby #2 will be a breeze.


So when I went to buy diapers online, I had no idea what the heck to get [one reason I'm writing this: maybe it will help one of you friends?]. There are so many different kinds and there's a whole cloth-diapering lingo which was incredibly confusing [and a little annoying :)]. So I finally ended up meeting a girl who had a really good, cheap, easy-to-understand system. Per her advice I bought 3 G Diaper covers per size and instead of using their flushable inserts [which are great, I hear] I have a dozen or so flats. The flats look like dishtowels which you have to fold. To be honest, I like folding the diapers - it's calming, relaxing and allows me a minute to think.


So this little system is quite cheap and works really well. However, I finally figured out the cloth-diaper jargon and now wish I could buy up all the fun, new, trim, cool, hemp, organic, adorable diapers out there. Because cloth diapers aren't just eco-friendly, they are stinkin' adorable. Like this one:


So - I have the GDiaper system for everyday use with a few doublers [makes them more absorbant] for naps. I have 2 BumGenius' for times we'll be away from home for an extended period [you can't let them sit in the diaper like with disposables], and then one cute Bummis cover (above) which I put over random pre-folds [the ones our moms used] and fitted diapers I've acquired. I use disposables at night, by the way. And sometimes I'm just feeling lazy and use them then too.

So! I know it's not for everyone, but if you're considering cloth diapers, I'm telling you it's not as hard/gross as it sounds. The laundry is really not a big deal at all - especially if you have a front loader. Don't worry if you're not that into it - I'll still be your friend :) But I think it's a really good thing! Ok! Done.

10 comments:

Jeremy, Julie, Eva and Kate said...

Thanks for the inspiration. Many times I want to forego the cloth diapers...b/c when you have a big baby...none of the clothes fit over them.

ann.e said...

it'll be easier when she walks and can wear a dress :) also speesees yoga pants!

Melissa Abby said...

Those covers are cute! Helps that the little girl wearing them is even cuter :) If our landlord wasn't lame and didn't make us pay for laundry (and it's a crappy machine!) I might think about it...maybe once we move for the next baby.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

i totally hear you on the folding as meditation thing. i'm already looking forward to that part. now if only i could figure out how to squeeze in the whole havin a baby prereq, we'd be set.. ;)

Ryan. Beth. Pierce. Paige. Ollie. said...

Ok, so are you saying the BumGenius' keeps them drier longer than regular cloth diapers? Do you soak your used diapers in something until laundry day? Take a pic of that! I like the G Diapers (flushables) b/c I'm scared about letting P sit in a wet diaper. Do you think Vera has any more diaper rash with the cloths vs. her disposables?

ann.e said...

ew, beth! :)

I don't soak them - from what I've read it's not necessary and isn't good for the diapers.

Yes BumGenius (as well as other brands like FuzziBunz) keep them drier - I think the fabric 'wicks' away the moisture. They're pretty expensive though, that's why I just have a couple.

Diaper rash hasn't been a problem - there was one bad week but I think it's b/c she'd never had juice before. You just make sure to change their diaper at least every hour or when you notice it's wet. If her bottom gets red at all, I let her air out a minute and then use a little A&D. I think she's had a rash before from the chlorine in disposables!

sarah said...

annie, I will thank you, on behalf of all your non parenting friends that now have a way to look totally cute during our own incontinence.

Listening to this right now and thinking of you and little Varah's cute little bum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM5tkXSAHjg

Em and Jud said...

Anne, I am going to bookmark this page....so helpful! I know I'll refer back to it when I start (thinking about) figuring this out. And Vera is adorable in all those shots...give her a hug for me!

jora said...

I love gdiapers. And they are adorable on a chubby little bum!