10.06.2009

*una lista

The other night we listened to This American Life on our way home from my brother's. The episode was about a woman who picked up and moved to Desmet, SD because of her love for the Ingalls' family story in the Little House series [books not show!!]. They went through a bit of Laura Ingalls Wilder's story and how much her books have impacted people. I actually got a lump in my throat thinking about it all. I cannot tell you how much I loved those books - how much I wanted to live with Laura and play in the woods+fields, walk to my one-room schoolhouse, go on a sleigh ride with my Almanzo :) Anyway, so I was just about to get in bed and read another of my most favorite books ever: Pride and Prejudice. And I was compelled to write a list, which happens a lot. But this time I'm sharing it:

Books I love so much they make me ache inside:

Little House series
Pride and Prejudice
100 Years of Solitude
Carta a una señorita en Paris [short story by Julio Cortazar. the one with the bunnies, sarah]
Where the Red Fern Grows
Anne of Green Gables [especially the first and the last 2]
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Last Battle, The Magician's Nephew
Daughter of Fortune
Peace Like a River [a newer one, but worthy of the list]
Steinbeck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we have so many of the same favorites. i would add 'atonement', 'fugitive pieces', and 'the english patient' to my list of ache-worthy novels.

p.s. i think we've been on the same wavelength recently, or maybe it's just fall. chicken noodle soup-making, composting, and 'putting food away' (though in our case it's been chestnuts/marron glace). After your pesto post, i've been thinking i need to get out into the garden and pluck the rest. did you add wheat germ to yours, btw? ;)

momandpop said...

I know: that ache inside. Red Fern. Stays right there in the middle of the chest forever.