5.07.2011

*

It's not as easy as it once was to give Vera an answer and have her just accept it. Tonight, for example:

Vera: Can I watch something?
Me: No, we don't watch anything before bed.
Vera: Why not?
Me: They say you shouldn't watch TV before bed.
Vera: Who says that? God?
Me: Um... no, [thinking "researchers" or something..] the doctors.

I need to be quicker to think! Same thing this last week at the library when Vera found a silly and shockingly "grown-up" Barbie book [ - about going on a date with Ken. She looked a little too Orange County for my tastes and I'd really like to protect Vera from Barbie as long as I can] She wanted to check it out and I, unable to think quickly, said they don't let us check that one out :) Why not, she asks? Um, I don't know, they just don't. And it's for older girls. I did feel badly outright lying about it and am really going to make an effort to think things through before I speak.

No comments: