5.08.2011

*una madre muy agradecida




I'm feeling really thankful today for the immense blessing of my family and the privilege of being Vera and Eden's mom. It's hard work and often tedious, boring, "unfulfilling" in the worldly sense to stay home and dedicate myself to taking care of two little human beings. I mean I just spent the first part of Edie's nap folding diapers - I thought about how much time I spend just focused on keeping her peeing and pooping sanitary. Or the time I spend picking up toys, or the ENDLESS dishes and endless laundry [the dishes really get to me. why can't it just stop for a minute?!]. All for kids who will sometimes tell you outright that "Daddy is my favorite" or who will yell and cry and fuss all afternoon for no [discernible] reason. This is totally cliché, but really it is amazing that despite all the hard parts about it, you wouldn't trade it for anything.

These are the moments that will stay with me: seeing Edie smile at Vera's silliness, peacefully nursing her at 4am, when she buries her head in my chest or grabs me with two hands and tries to eat my face, getting her up from a nap and taking her over to Ben to play peek-a-boo for a minute, her adorable little naked body, seeing glimpses of pride on her face when she can wiggle her way over to a toy 2 feet away and her little excited noises that still have no consonants: all ooohhh and uuuhhh. I love listening to Vera read to herself during quiet time, watching her love for painting lately and the dozens of family portraits she's made, seeing her practice and practice something until she's satisfied she knows it well - currently "sounding things out" and counting to diez in Spanish, watching her have so much fun with her friends who she really loves dearly, the way she awkwardly uses her hands for expression when she talks, her amazing hearty laugh when she watches old Donald Duck youtubes with Ben... and the list goes on :)

This morning all I wanted was to sleep in and to have a croissant from Tulie. Ben also surprised me with a framed copy of this picture of me and my girls. Yesterday we went to Red Butte Gardens - it was so beautiful!! A really wonderful weekend.


Edie in the new Ergo. It's nice, but I do wish she could face out like in the Bjorn..

Going down the pole for the first time:


1 comment:

Jenny said...

So sweet! You have two very special girls for sure!! I am so thankful that we have been able to walk through these early years of mothering together. Love ya and happy mothers day!
P.S. Amelia went down the pole for the first ( ten) time (s) yesterday too and loved it- can't believe we missed you guys!