5.12.2011

*dando pecho



I thought I'd share a little about my new job! After nearly a month of training, in the last few weeks I've finally been able to start working as a lactation counselor. I can't tell you how much I have learned - it is really amazing! You might remember me complaining about how badly nursing went with Edie [you might not have caught how truly horrendous it was - I'm not kidding and I am surprised myself that I stuck with it!]. Well as I go through my reading, training seminars and conversations, I can make a long long list of all the things I Wish I Had Known. That's really why I'm so excited to have this job - to help moms to succeed in feeding their babies the best*, to educate them beforehand and to be there when things aren't going well. When I was having problems with Edie, a few of you friends gave me advice and I can't tell you how invaluable that was.

It's amazing the misconceptions that are out there, as well as the lack of "baby-friendly" practices in the hospitals. I read, for instance, that over 50% of "breastfed" (not babies who are going to be formula-fed) babies are given formula supplements in the hospital! I can tell you from experience (with Vera) that that is setting you up for some serious difficulties with breastfeeding and immediately increases your chance of weaning early. Another misconception is that so many mothers think they don't produce enough, or that their milk started "drying up" - when in fact it's really rare. Not that they are lying - they really perceive it that way and it's sad because there are many ways to help them either produce more or see that they are producing enough. It is the #1 reason babies are weaned early.

ARG. I had written a whole lot more, edited and saved it last night to find it mostly erased just now. I'm just going to leave the above as it is now. Anyway, I'm really excited about the job - especially that I get to speak a lot of Spanish! I've had several moms give me a sincere thank you and that is such a big reward.

*I don't want to sound preachy or know-it-all or anything with all this - I just want to share what I've learned! Breastfeeding vs. formula has become so polemic lately and that's really sad. Formula isn't evil - my one brother who was formula-fed is the most smart, healthy, successful, affectionate one of us. But research does show that breastfeeding is so incredibly beneficial and superior in so many ways: I just wouldn't want someone to resort to formula because there wasn't anyone there to help/educate them otherwise. I work at a low income clinic and these are the moms who really need the benefits of breastfeeding both for their babies and themselves!

**In case you're wondering - I'm only working 8-10 hours a week. The job is super flexible and most of my hours are during preschool and nap times when Ben isn't too inconvenienced by watching the girls. I feel really blessed to be able to do this!

1 comment:

Em and Jud said...

Congrats, Anne! What wonderful work, and you would be so helpful, calming and supportive for new moms. Good for you!