1.23.2012

*adios food co-op!

I'm sad I didn't take my camera to the last day - 
our good friend Dale gave me this copy.


I've often meant to write about the Food Co-op here, but never did.  We all got an unexpected email a couple weeks ago that they were closing up and this past Saturday was the last distribution!  Five years ago I was feeling like I needed to volunteer in some way at our church - to be involved, to serve and really to meet people. Soon after I started, they asked me to be "team leader" - basically coordinating the site volunteers and communicating with the warehouse people.  I was pregnant with Vera when I started, and after she was a few months old started coming with me.  It was really neat to have her help out, to see people in the church serving the community and especially when she'd come along to drop off boxes of food at the YWCA etc.  When she was little [and now Edie] she looved to hand out people's share list and say "thank you!" and she loved getting her bagel with pink cream cheese from Einstein's [later years that would be my bribe to get her to come], helping prepare the bagels for people who'd come, doing little tasks other volunteers would give her and of course she LOVED the boxes.  We almost always have a co-op box in our living room that is of course used for a million different "not a box" things. 

I was so grateful for the people I met through the co-op.  They really showed me what it means to serve Christ not by standing on the corner with a sign or by handing out tracts, but by joyfully giving their time and their money to help out the community.

Really sad to see it go - a lot of people really counted on it for low-cost fresh food.  That box Edie is sitting in would be almost full of produce for just $10!

 ::on another note::
 I posted on my other blog tonight!  It only took me like 3 months to write the post and find the photo to scan.  I feel like I am so out of practice writing - I write fewer letters now, and it sometimes seems like my head thinks in facebook 'likes' and texts. That's not a good thing, so this was good exercise getting my brain working.


1 comment:

auntie j said...

i've been meaning to comment on this post for weeks - i love this picture of the girls. and what a huge bummer about your co-op. it always sounded like such a cool deal. aaannnd - mostly i wanted to say that i love that you posted to tortillas frescas. you totally captured o.b. for me. what i wouldn't give for a cold pacifico and hot chips and an endless summer :) xo