1.26.2009

*osito de miel


Vera went to the grocery store with me today and among other things we picked up some honey. I said, look Vera, a bear! She took it and literally giggled with delight. She repeated "byeaeaarrr" and hugged, kissed, squeezed and laughed at it all the way home. In the car she was pointing out its eyes, knees, nose and hat [lid] and then showed it her eyes, knees, hood, etc. Seriously, it was pretty cute.


When we got home, a package from Oompa toys had arrived - a little tea set I got for her with some Christmas money [thank you auntie marie!]. She was super-excited to start drinking/pouring water - just as I thought she would.
[obviously needs to work on some skills..]


Later on though, she went back to playing with the honey bear and it got me thinking. I mean we know everyone says this, but kids really don't need fancy toys!! Seriously, some of the most played-with items in our house have consistently been sample-size lotion bottles [i'm not kidding, had an obsession with these since she learned to grasp], pots & spoons and the contents of the recycle bin [we wash everything and keep cans/glass aside]. So I'm not sure what my point is - observation I guess. Because it also is really fun to explore and dream about all the beautiful/fun/worthy toys out there [be careful if you visit oompa, that's all I'll say...]. Not sure where to end this.... I'm not saying I don't want to have toys for Vera! Just some thoughts. Those of you with niños, what are their favorite random household items??

p.s. I just put her to bed. She came running naked from the bath holding the bear. I tried to lose it on the way to her room, but she asked for it again. I didn't want to risk a freak-out so she went to bed clutching it. It's unopened and tightly shut, but I'll check on her later. Just emphasizing that she is really into it :)

8 comments:

Jeremy, Julie, Eva and Kate said...

How adorable!! Eva loves the bottle of vanilla and the bottle of peppermint extract. They are open, glass and she takes them everywhere...so I am not too worried about the honey bear:) Fun to see you sew. Can't wait to see the projects.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

okay, that's cute!.. also, she looks so much older than when we last saw her. darn it. they grow up so fast. (did i just say that?)

Anonymous said...

that deleted was mine, btw. wouldn't want you to think someone had crank-commented you. ;)

Emily said...

We had a honey bear obcession for a while too...then Daddy opened it not knowing that it was more of a toy, and it was game over. She loves whisks, jewelery and tupperware.

Melissa Abby said...

Grant loves playing with my slippers. He can have toys all around him and he cries until I give him my slippers.

Maria said...

Random that I am commenting on your blog, since we were just aquaintances in college....but I LOVE your updates and all your links....we lived in Missoula for awhile too, so it is nice to have someone that can relate!
Don't worry the "real" toy dilemma...we have the same issues at our house. While most kids are attached to a stuff animal, Camdyn is obsessed with a snack size ziplock bag filled with cotton balls. Since she was about 8 months old it has to go everywhere with her......she even falls asleep with it. I have just learned to let it go and am thankful that it is easily replaced if something ever happened to it!

Jenny said...

The picture of Vera pouring the water is one of my favorites ever! I know, I'll print it out and put in the envelope with all the other pics for the book I never made:) Boo! Jen