1.11.2009

*la enseñanza



{..apply your heart to discipline, and your ears to the words of wisdom..}

Good advice, isn't it? This was one of a few memory verses [sorry, can't find the reference at the moment] that defined my year in Argentina. I knew what an incredible difference it made if I could get up early each morning to read my Bible and pray. I repeated that verse to myself every morning when I would have rather turned over to keep sleeping - and for that matter, every time I felt myself pulling to do something not consistent with who I wanted to be in my faith or otherwise [as in hellO! you do not need another plate of gnocchi!].

Because it's hard, this discipline thing. I had realized after reading some book [probably a Puritan Paperback :)] that I don't want to just act disciplined, but rather to discipline my heart, to live and breathe that way. Does this make sense? Sorry to unload a little personal, probably nonsensical stuff here, but I've just really been disappointed with myself lately. Remember a few months ago when I wrote out some things I wanted to change? Well not much did [...although I did cut flowers to put inside until winter precluded that one. ok and I guess I've toned down on the ice cream intake :)]. Every morning for the last week I've planned to get up before Vera - who is actually getting up rather late .. lately. So I just taped my old favorite verse up and will say it to myself tomorrow morning when I [yet again] am inclined to roll over and go back to sleep. I'll let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

Jeremy, Julie, Eva and Kate said...

Set realistic expectations. You are truly an amazing person so try not to be too hard on yourself. Makes me look really bad;) You probably didn't want a comment...but I couldn't help myself.

Anonymous said...

Anne, you are an amazing mom and seem completely disciplined when it comes to that calling. Don't be so hard on yourself-- baby steps!

Jenny said...

Loved this post. I keep forgetting to tell you that. I so want a disciplined heart, not just a checklist (ahem, Motivated Mom's Chore Chart:). Love you guys and think you do a fabulous job, Jen

Familia Gonzalez said...

I read this last night and then after I was motivated to read my Bible and what do you know I read this verse or a verse like it in the one year Bible..I am behind by a week or so...oops. Thanks for the encouragement. I wake up and breastfeed Matt, put him back to sleep and yes go back to bed myself...I always say the night before, Ok I´m going to stay awake and have time with God, etc and fail. So don´t feel too bad. Hope Vera is feeling better! no fun having a sick kiddo. cuidate, Britt