3.14.2009

*las etapas

I think one thing I've learned about this parenting deal is that kids have phases - and that these phases come and go. For Vera there was the month of exactly 18 minute naps, the few weeks where she would only eat something if it had YoBaby mixed in, the 2-3 months where she would break into choking sobs every time I stepped out of her sight, the screeching phase [remember, Beth?] and the trying to get out of bedtime phase - to name a few.

I'm hoping the current phase is like the rest and will eventually be a memory, because I've just about lost patience for it. It's still the no! phase that I mentioned a while ago, combined with a new somewhat bratty attitude with her friends [not all the time ... please still invite us over :)]. I'd say most of the troubles have to do with her interactions with other little ones - which is hard and sad for me to see and deal with. I try so hard to patiently repeat the same words: Vera, we don't talk to our friends that way, Vera, that is not nice, Vera, you may not take things from your friends, Vera, please give that back, Vera please say you're sorry. Sometimes I see flickers of her holding back. I'll say, Vera do you want a spanking? And she says noooo in a much lighter, softer tone - which lets me know that she does know what's going on! Or I'll be about to give her a little spank and she says, nice! or a honey-sweet hiiiii :) Or sometimes, she makes the right choice and will hand Stella a toy, or give her a kiss and pat on the back.

Anyway, I started this post this morning - while remembering the difficult week we had [all the above combined with waking up at 5:00am and little-to-no napping...]. We had such a lovely day though today - lots of smiles and giggles and being nice. Well and Ben took her for a long hike [thank you!!] after which she took a 2 hour nap!!! And then such a fun, playful easy-to-bed evening we had. So yeah, I believe this too is just a phase. In the meantime I'll try to be consistent and loving, steering her towards a kind heart.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Don't worry!!! Last semester at school, Ella was the notorious "toy theif." And just Friday, she was the one picking out stickers for all her friends, delivering them with a sweet, "Here you go, Lucas (or Taylor, or Katie, etc)" as she gently placed them on their bellies. Toddlers are just egomaniacs!

Anonymous said...

We'll love Vera through all of her phases just as you guys will (and have) loved Sam and Amelia through all of theirs! Honestly, I think it's good for them to see you being consistent in stopping her and saying all of the little phrases b/c I think they are thinking, "Oh, her mama tells her not to do those things too!" You know, it takes a village kind of thing:) And we will always, always be happy to be part of your village! Love ya, Jen

Esti said...

No te preocupes. Cuando tienes el segundo hijo ya has aprendido que siempre hay luz al final del tunel. Todo mejora. Todo. Las fases dejan paso a nuevas fases. Y poco a poco, las fases se vuelven más divertidas.