1.29.2010

*dos y medio

Some things about our official 2 and a half-year old:

Her favorite books at the moment are Manners by Aliki, Green Eggs and Ham [I do like them, Mama!], The Little Engine that Could, My Forever Dress, The Best Nest, and very recently Fancy Nancy. She loves Super Why and Dinosaur Train on PBS plus of course Signing Time, Bug's Life and Cinderella. Today at a mom's group she was wearing a princess outfit and wanted her friend Sam to put on the king's cape and dance with her - just like Cinderella I imagine :)

She is finally going poopoo on the potty!!! Starting this last week a number of things finally got her to do it. I was always perplexed that she wouldn't because she is so obsessed with everything "big girl." First, we started "practicing" because she wanted to go to big kid Sunday School and they have to [I told her] be 100% trained. So she'd sit on the little potty for like an hour reading stories and I would finally be like ok do you want me to just put on a diaper? I think that started some reverse psychology and that together with knowing she'd get the Cinderella DVD worked. Whew! I write this down so I can remember how it all went. I googled the problem and lots of parents said their child took like a year!! I'm so glad it's over.

Her favorite foods are carrots, pinenuts, pistachios, eggy soup, eggy rice [egg drop soup and fried rice], yogurt, candy, chocolate, etc. She still LOVES milk and would drink it all day if she could.

Her favorite things to do are get herself dressed and try on everything [just like Olivia the pig], dress up in princess and dancing outfits, dance, sing with dramatic arm movements, color/paint/draw, jump on her bed, the couch etc., talk to puppets, hide from mom+dad and play doctor.

Lots of her baby ways of saying things have disappeared, tho' she still says "poos" for spoon. I love how she says "I unno know" and shrugs her hands for I don't know and I love when she calls me sweetheart. Ben's favorite is how she says bewnding for building. I've been trying to incorporate a little more Spanish into our days and she can identify a few body parts when I ask dónde está...? and she can count to cinco and identify verde, rosado and azul.  She also knows to ask for una fresa at our favorite burrito place :)

She hasn't napped in her bed since Christmas Day. I've been trying to consistenly make her have "quiet time" where she sits in her bed and reads until the timer goes off. I set it to about 25 minutes and am slowing making it longer. She's really happy and proud of herself when she can wait until the ding I hope hope hope she'll be able to sit for an hour at some point because I NEED the time to myself. However we finally just set up her big girl bed and she's doing quiet time right now for the first time in it ... we'll see how it goes!

It's been a rough month with all the tantrums and her contrariness. Example: Me: You're just a little person! Vera: NO I'm NOT a person! Me: You're so pretty! Vera: NO I'm NOT pretty. Me: Do you want to read Fancy Nancy? Vera: I DONT LIKE Fancy Nancy (she does). Despite the incredibly difficult-I-want-to-rip-my-hair-out-times, I/we love her so much it literally makes my heart ache.



No comments: