1.29.2010

*la camita!

[little down pillow was made for my oldest brother when he was little!]


I've been waiting to take her crib down until I'd finished this duvet cover. I'd seen the adorable pink flannel at our quilt shop and then got the idea to make a duvet from it here. It got a little complicated and a little pricey as I thought it would be better to make a twin-sized even though Vera was getting her cousin's old toddler bed. So I had to buy like 6 yards of expensive fabric to piece together and thankfully figured out to just buy a flat sheet [from Garnet Hill] for the other side. In short, it would have been waaaayyyy cheaper to just buy a duvet from IKEA!

Anyway she's been telling anyone she sees that she's getting a new pink bed and so I had to finish it. Yesterday as I was nearing the end I had her move pins from the box to the pincushion - I remember reading that on Soulemama :) Then she threw the box across the bed so I kicked her out and let her watch a movie so I could just get it done. Sewing is fun, especially seeing the final product. I still have a hard time being precise and patient though! I make a ton of mistakes and if you saw it up close you could easily see them - I guess I'm in the learning stage still?



She said many many times today: "I'm so happy! So 'cited!!!" She also stayed on it for her whole 30 minute quiet time and thankfully went to bed just fine too. I am foreseeing a 'honeymoon' period where she thinks it's fun and exciting and then we're going to have a bit of a struggle keeping her from getting up in the middle of the night... for now though it's so fun to see our baby take one more step to being a big girl!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Adorable! Here's to hoping the honeymoon period lasts for a long, long while.

momandpop said...

Dear little retreat! And what a wonderful duvet, Anne! She'll love it forever. Such a good picture of you and Voove at the machine.

Unknown said...

Hi Anne, I didn't know you were interested in sewing/quilting and other crafty stuff, thought I was the only one, if you ever need help, I would love to lend a hand, I have been quilting and sewing since jr high days (maybe even before). As a kid I used to go with my mom and grandmother to a monthly quilting bee, and loved watching them. I really miss it, (sigh).
Syd

Melissa Abby said...

Hope it is going well in the bed still, she's such a big girl!!!