4.05.2011

*

.:today:.

Every time we go to the park, Vera is on the lookout for a new friend. The innocence in this little emerging social being is so sweet, it makes my heart ache a little. Sometimes she'll go right up to a little girl and ask, "will you play with me?" Other times she kind of just 'flirts' for lack of a better word: she'll try to show she's having a lot of fun, like yelling an emphatic woohoo! down the slide. A little while ago (maybe last summer), Ben said she did the cutest little twirl in front of some older girls trying to get their attention. Today there were some girls chasing each other down the slide, laughing real hard - Vera watched and then let out an audible breath of air [like whew I'm tired too!], totally trying to get their attention. Sometimes they reciprocate and she'll have a little 15 minute friend, other times her efforts go totally unnoticed and once or twice they've been older and look at her like, you don't just ask someone to play!

It's just so cute and so innocent and adorable - seriously it makes my heart hurt! I guess I can just foresee the day when she understands that she is hurt or embarrassed by someone not wanting to play. It's like I already want to protect her from it - which obviously I know you shouldn't do. Anyway she's still a little oblivious and I love it, makes me want to give my little girl a big HUG and kiss.

On another note, Edie is starting to have fun watching the kids play at the park. She was super cute and innocent today too - someone would come down the slide and after a long pause she would 'get it' and laugh and kick her little legs.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gosh Ann, I could have written this same exact post about Henry. He is always looking for a friend. I know just how you feel about it all, because I feel the same way.

jessie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessie said...

that is just so sweet. and also makes me think, do we ever really grow out of that awkward dance of looking for connection - sometimes getting it, sometimes not? hug her for me :)