2.28.2009

*el mate


I took this picture back in September. She had been reaching and reaching for my mate, and so I gave her some knowing she'd never ask for it again. I didn't even capture the full repugnance on her face as she shook her head back and forth spewing green tea all over. It was pretty great :) [by the way, it wasn't hot] A couple months ago though she wanted to try again. I made sure it was a nasty, cold, bitter one and she took a sip. She twisted her face a little in surprise and then covered it up and said mmmmmm, more? I couldn't believe it. I let her try once or twice, making sure they were strong and sure to be foul-tasting. She'd give a start, pucker her lips, hide her disgust and keep at it! So no more tries for Vera. She loves to point it out though and will often devise her own little mate with a cup and a straw. Sometimes I let her drink water out of the gourd and it's just too cute - mi chiquita argentina :)





2 comments:

sarah said...

OMFG! I can't wait to share a mate with varah!

Unknown said...

funny. Echo does this too. except she likes bitter/ green tasting things and will sip it all down. Once i caught her with it when i wasn't paying attention and she drank nearly the whole thing. AND stained her pajamas. Boy be careful, that tea stains for sure.