2.11.2009

*enfoque

I'm not feeling the words coming tonight [I've tried to start this like 3 times], but I've wanted to remember these little activities we've been doing. I've been reading a couple books and blogs on the Montessori method for early childhood and find it all so so interesting [and am so thankful to Jenny for introducing me to it all! Seriously, I'd be a dud of a mom without her. well not really, but kind of!]. I'd been anxious to have Vera try some of the little activites that encourage the child to focus and develop fine-motor skills, but you could tell that she's just not quite ready to sit for too long following a Mommy-directed activity [her tea set, pots+noodles+spoons, playing in her kitchen and with Bunny/Dollie are another story] :) These are a start...

We've had these wooden beads for a few months and she's now able to do it on her own - though she still likes to do it together sometimes :) If she's in the right mood, she'll do it a couple times over and over. It's been cute to see her slowly learn to do it all by herself.



Another little activity that I got from this blog post. She was into it when we had a mini-Montessori date at Sam+Amelia's [I'm thinking mainly because it was what Sam wanted to do], but gets impatient quickly and wants to do her own thing, ie. throw the pins across the room or shake the bottle, or try to stuff bunny's paws through the top. I took a video after we tried it the first time - she does 2 of my favorite things in this video: how she says "see??" to Bunny and her adorable little pleased-with-herself laugh.





She really loves this one - painting with water on a chalkboard. I'm going to be careful to keep it a special activity, so she won't lose interest. She likes to paint "dots" and will do a cat too, if I ask her to :)


[sorry, re-reading this I feel like it's all super-awkwardly written. I think I need to go to bed]

***
So far, these are the books I've read: Montessori from the Start, Raising an Amazing Child the Montessori Way and Mommy, Teach Me! I don't feel like searching out the links, do you mind?

The blogs on my googleReader: Chasing Cheerios and The Wonder Years.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to give www.montessorimom.com a try. It's a little hard to navigate, but somewhere in there I found some good photos of activities and materials.

Cleaning and cooking are always a big hit in my house. I set up a cleaning supply cupboard for the little ones. My floor has never been so clean!

Have fun!

momandpop said...

Her hands are so special to watch. How beautiful her signing of "sorry".

Lola

Ryan. Beth. Pierce. Paige. Ollie. said...

where did you get the pins?

Jeremy, Julie, Eva and Kate said...

Thank you for the great ideas. I love the chalkboard with water. You have such a precious girl!!