4.27.2009

*


One thing I remember from my bit of Montessori reading is the idea of not breaking "the flow." When your child is absorbed in something: lining up blocks, taking a lid on-and-off, reciting her abc's or sitting on the bottom step of the stairs coloring quietly on her own [that's what we're doing now :) ], don't interrupt to say, "wow, good job! whatcha doing? oohh look at that." Don't break the flow of their concentration. Sometimes I forget, and the moment I say something the magic is broken and she moves on to something else. It's so fun to stand by quietly myself and just watch her little brain working..

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Ohhh, love that picture:) Love the thought too. I had to remember that this morning when I walked outside to find them diligently scooping and dumping mud into my new mop bucket (left outside to rinse:) They were working so hard that I just decided not to interupt the moment. A mop bucket can always be washed. See ya this afternoon at the farm! Jen

Saint Josephs Pediatric Dental Lit Review said...

Good reminder! I am watching Grant put things in and out of the wipes container right now and he is so focused, I love it. So many times I too say something to him (or get out the camera and distract him) and he moves onto something else...Their little brains are amazing!!!

Melissa Abby said...

Whoops, that last one was from me but Chad was still logged in from his work account :)