2.25.2012

*blue plates : green wall

Whether or not we are moving anywhere for a job this Fall, I have been overcome with this need to simplify things in our home, to do some things I've always wanted to but just didn't have the energy or whatever.  No excuses. One excuse has been "well we will be moving eventually" - so literally I have not even put any new nails in the walls but used what was there before. Partly because I'm intimidated by crumbly lath and plaster, but really???  Anyway so I finally realized something that I've always wanted to do.   

Eight long years ago, on my European *tour* with my sister Liz before I got married, I saw and remembered this wall of blue plates on a green wall at a lovely little hostel in Alicante, Spain.  The whole hostel was so artistic, so wonderful.  I took this picture below, telling myself I would do this wall in my home someday -- only took me just short of eight years!  I scanned the photo below [isn't it hard to believe that just a short time ago we weren't using digital cameras??  Pretty crazy.], but then got a little nostalgic and scanned a few more.  So I will share these with you now and at some point this week share the picture of the plates I .:finally:. hung on our green wall - only been in this house for 6 years!


anyway::.. the original photo of the inspirational green wall:



Ben and I were getting married in just about a month's time.  I was sure something was going to happen and I was going to die and never see him again.  Here is one of my nightly calls home.  International calls are so disappointing - always that delay.  Maybe now you can just call on your cell phone? I have no idea.



I love this next photo taken with my Holga.  Doesn't it look like those buildings don't fit in the same picture??  It was in Granada, right by the shop where I bought the two plates which are now on our wall.  It was so fortuitous - the owner was about to leave for holiday, but hesitated and let Liz and I in. I wish I could have known what a gem that place was - filled with all shapes and sizes of these beautiful pieces.  They seemed mass-produced at the moment, but separated later from the group I saw how beautiful they really were.   Wish I could go back and buy a box full.



...Might as well share other highlights.  El Alhambra in Granada.  One of the most beautiful and fascinating places I have ever been.


This was at the beginning of the trip in Paris. I wish I could know Paris better, felt I just got a taste.  One of my favorite memories was having a simple picnic with Liz on this little river island.  A decent [not great - the great one we had on the train from Pau to Barcelona] baguettte, some cheese and red wine.  I love to see this little spot - or one like it - on movies. Have you seen Midnight in Paris? I LOVED IT.



This one is labeled in the album as the "big night." I think we saved up and decided that would be the big dinner where we spent some money.  It was tucked away in a plaza strewn with twinkly lights and about five outdoor cafes.  We had goat cheese papilotte with leeks, a salad, prosciutto, melon, creme brulee and of course, un noisette.  I loved these glasses you saw everywhere in France - loved them.  I tried to register for similar ones at Williams Sonoma - no luck :) 

look at this real film!  take that, instagram!

***

meanwhile, my handsome husband-to-be was hiking Mt. Whitney:
 

I did survive my European tour, married him and now we find ourselves in Utah - almost done with school, enjoying life with two of the most precious little girls I could ever imagine. Pretty amazing.  Praise God!

4 comments:

momandpop said...

Wonderful, wonderful. So much wonderful. Yes, we praise You, God.

Ryan. Beth. Pierce. Paige. Ollie. said...

LOVE this post. Think Granada was one of my most favorite places I've ever been. I will gladly join you to hunt down more plates. :)

So ... where is the pic of the blue plates on your green wall????
xoxo.

auntie j said...

yes! I've been asking everyone *have you seen Midnight in Paris*?? I watched it two nights in a row and have picked up my much-loved 1930s Anais Nin diaries after a lot of years on the shelf. I would love to know Paris too. Let's do it!!

p.s. excited to see the wall too :)

Anonymous said...

Really fun to see those photos and I realize my memory is so bad. I thought we bought the plates in Sevilla?? And I don't know where my bowls ever went!! Better check mom's house...
I've always thought a trip would be fun again with us sisters and sisters-in-law. Maybe someday.