2.16.2012

*breastfeeding basics

I have been wanting to share some of the tips we give pregnant/newly breastfeeding moms. Basically we call a month before, a week after and 4-6 weeks after with specific things to share at that point.  I started this post last week and it was turning into a LONG post, so I just deleted it and thought I'd write some of the most helpful tips.  These are things that really seem to help a new mom - things that we might not have thought of.  I love when I'm talking to a mom and a piece of advice 'clicks' and you can see that it will help her situation.  I wish I had someone call me every couple weeks to share some advice!

So here you go...
Before the birth: 

*Let your doctor/midwife know that you want to breastfeed your baby, that way they can support you and will [hopefully] not do things to interfere with that.  The biggest thing here is that your baby doesn't get a bottle in the hospital. There are many other ways to make sure the baby gets anything extra they may medically need!  NO BOTTLES.  I can't tell you how many moms don't breastfeed because baby got bottles in the hospital [though it doesn't have to be the end - get help from an LC]

*Colostrum is the first milk you make and it is a super baby food!  It only comes in tiny amounts, but is just perfect, absolutely perfect for your baby.  Your mature milk won't come in if you are not nursing your baby!  I've talked to moms who give bottles while they wait for their milk to come in. ?!!

*Along the same lines, nurse the baby as soon as you can. Ideally they should put the baby on your chest skin-to-skin. I always thought this was for "bonding purposes" - but really it is the perfect time to start breastfeeding [obviously sometimes medical needs arise and you can't do this right away] - the baby is usually quiet and alert and just ready to nurse. [[edit: I went to a perinatal conference a month or so ago and learned all about skin to skin contact and how amazing it is in so many ways. won't get into it here, but if you read this - do skin to skin with your baby as soon as possible after birth and even into the first few weeks. it literally is wiring their sweet little brain :)]]


Just after the birth:
*It's normal for it to hurt a little bit right when baby latches on. If it hurts the whole feeding or your nipples are shaped funny afterward or you are starting to crack - get help!  It might be an easy fix.  For soreness, put a little breast milk on your nipples and let it air dry - so helpful.

*Around 2 weeks babies will go through a growth spurt. It will seem like they want to eat really often - like every 1/2 to 1 hour. If you go ahead and put them to the breast again, your body gets the message to make milk. If you think "I'm not making enough milk" and give a bottle - your body will get the message it doesn't need to make any extra to keep up with babies growth!  For most women, the more you nurse the more you will make

*You can know you are making enough milk if your baby has 6-8 wet diapers and 3-4 dirty diapers and is gaining weight.  Babies cry - it doesn't necessarily mean you are not feeding them enough!

4-6 weeks after birth:
*You might not have that heavy, full, leaky feeling anymore. so many moms [myself included] think this means they have less milk, or that it is drying up. It just means that your body has adjusted to what you baby eats. The milk is still there, it still flows whether you feel it or not.  [One time I felt like there was nothing there, but knew Edie was eating at home so I pumped. I got 4 oz out of the side that felt empty!]

*If you give a baby a bottle after a breastfeeding session, the baby will probably drink it!  Babies like to suck.  If you are worried about your supply, it is better to feed a little more often to increase your production.  I always share this fantastic article about low milk supply/increasing supply.

3 comments:

Ryan. Beth. Pierce. Paige. Ollie. said...

all such helpful information! it is probably worth recognizing that some people legitimately do make less milk at certain times - if you haven't experienced it personally, you might not believe it, but I can tell you first hand that it does happen to some people. I lost massive milk supply when I was stressed out (when we lost a friend in Afghanistan). I was bf Paige exclusively at the time and went to feed her and there was literally NO milk. Also, when I got pregnant when Pierce was 5 mo, my body slowed milk production - don't know why, but I'm guessing I wasn't taking in enough calories for me, the baby and for Pierce, so it chose to support the baby? Anywho. People do give up too soon on bf, especially in the beginning and sadly it is sometimes b/c of ill advice they get in the hospital. I remember when Pierce was hospitalized for jaundice when he was a newborn and they tried to make me supplement b/c of the lights. They were concerned that he would get dehydrated. I did NOT want to and I was secretly happy that he wouldn't latch on to the bottle. :) So glad you're able to help so many women. What a rewarding job!

ann.e said...

I totally agree - pregnancy, stress, etc. definitely can affect your supply! There are so many different situations - these are the 'basics' we try to get out there. If you are ever in doubt, it's better to seek help than to give up like so so many of the moms I see do :( and really everyone deserves encouragement for their efforts - I am not a fan of the guilt trips people try to hand out! It has all become so polarized and it makes me sad.

Melissa Abby said...

Love this! I know I was lucky having such an easy time breastfeeding both of mine but I get sad for moms who think they can't do it and give bottles so early!