2.04.2012

*4 and a HALF


I forgot that last year I regretted telling Vera that she was officially three and a half.  She is now 4 1/2 and it's practically all she talks about.  I'm as old as Sam and Mimi now!  I'm older than Robbie.  Cheri is older than me, when I am 5 maybe I can tell her I have a loose tooth... I am going to be 5!!  Is Stella as old as me?

Though she does seem like such a big kid now, I do love that there is still a lot of sweet child-like things about her.  She still says breakfix, birtday, b'squetti (of course), aminal (sometimes) and still thinks it's soo funny to hide and have us pretend we don't know where she is.  Her play is super-imaginitive and creative and she thankfully doesn't complain of being bored.  When do kids learn that?  One of her imaginary games is "bug and bee."  I have never talked about them here because I guess I just keep hoping they will fade away :/  Ben holds up his pointer fingers and they talk to Vera as Bug and Bee.  She seriously talks to them like they are real and is always calling them over to talk/play with her.  ayyyy I know I should get over it, it's just a little too weird for me.

She spends a lot of time making elaborate little outfits and contraptions and who-knows-what with these leather strings we have and ribbons and bags and necklaces.  She is almost always dressed up and loves to play in the small space behind the couch - sometimes it's a house, sometimes it's the sea [if she happens to be the little mermaid]. She's been playing with the baby doll a lot lately, dressing her up and taking her for walks around the house.

Her favorite books at the moment are the Knuffle Bunny books [a friend just told me there was a 3rd - I didn't know!  I had tears streaming down my face when I read it the first time :( ], One Morning in Maine, Fancy Nancy [again - we don't own it so, a couple times a year I take it from the library and it becomes a favorite again], the Value Tales [we got the whole collection from ebay last year - she loves Louis Pasteur and Will Rogers the best] and a big book of [non-disney!] Fairy Tales she got for Christmas..   

She can read 3 letter words now which is pretty exciting.  Our neighbor lent us a phonics set and we were doing it pretty consistently before the holidays.  She also likes to add small numbers with her fingers and also keeps expressing interest in learning more Spanish. I wish I were more consistent in teaching her!  She still loves art and mostly likes to make fancy letters and designs [no cute stick figure people lately :( ]  So crazy she will start kindergarten in the Fall.  Where will we be???

She is so different than me in many ways.  When her friends come over she is ecstatic - so excited and loud and happy.  She just loves them so much and loves to be a hostess, making sure they are happy and taken care of - bordering on controlling [trying to gently steer her away from being the bossy one!!].   In the last few weeks I've noticed a little change in the way she relates to her friends.  Before, it seemed she gravitated more towards her boy friends [specifically Jack and Sam] and they would play so well together.  Lately I am seeing her prefer more girl things to play [yes, she has been girly for a long time now, but that didn't enter into her play before!  Like the last couple times she's played with Jack, she holds onto his little sister's ballerina Barbie the entire time, trying to incorporate it into the superhero play.  Of course, she really does love them all so much still - maybe it's just a thing this month. 


No comments: