11.11.2008

*el lenguaje 2

So I always thought baby signing was kind of corny. But then I saw this adorable post of little Ella and thought hmmm maybe we should give it a try. So one day at the library I happened to see two copies of the Baby Signing Time DVD - one for us and one for the twins who we were meeting with that day. I'm telling you, these videos are amazing!! All three were totally hooked. Us parents were hooked too - Ben would even tell me to turn it up because he couldn't hear from the other room :) It took a while of watching and constantly trying to get her to sign [mostly "more" and "eat"] until she finally started doing it. She'd add a sign here and there and it was just so exciting to be able to communicate with her! I'd say for the first few months it was mostly labeling things: like she'd sign milk when she was drinking it, or bird if we saw one. In the past few weeks she's really started signing a ton. It's amazing because she'll not have seen one for over a month and will somehow remember the sign for it, or you can show her the sign once and she gets it. The really neat thing about it is that it shows you how much a little child is capable of thinking/ understanding even when they can't express it in words yet! The other day she even signed a couple two word "sentences." She said please ...... eat! and then later - banana, all done!

It's really been so much fun for all of us. Maybe a little too much fun: Vera walks up to the TV constantly and either signs "sign" or says "sah, sah sah!" I really think this specific series is amazing - she just wasn't into the Baby Einstein. I also think it's really helped with her speaking. So yeah, I think signing is great - I love being able to already get her in learning mode and being able to communicate. So so fun :) Sometimes if we have someone over she gets all show-offy, we'll have to secretly video her then. Here's one from the beginning of September - the only semi-decent one we've been able to get:




*I also meant to note/remember that a couple weeks ago she saw my mate gourd and signed mom - and the day before she saw a beer bottle and signed dad :)

5 comments:

Emily said...

oh-so-sweet! i miss those days. now we're into the repeating every thought she has 500 times in a row...REALLY LOUD. must get that from her dad!

Jeremy, Julie, Eva and Kate said...

I clicked on your amazon link and ordered without hesitation..bye bye $20!

sarah said...

Verah's sign for mom looks a lot like monkey...I agree

Em and Jud said...

WOW!! I loved how she'd sign and then look at you for approval/confirmation/praise, with such adoring eyes. (especially right after "fish") Go Vera!

Anonymous said...

I glad Vera knows the mate--good for you for showing her! Love, Mary