11.19.2008

*la cena

It's funny how you [I] fought and rebelled against things your parents enforced when you were young. My parents were always strict about eating dinner as a family and I of course was probably the one who gave them the most grief about it. In and after college though I really started appreciating what a good thing it is to eat - together. I miss all you roommates/friends who would come over and let me feed you!!

However, Vera goes to bed between 7:00 and 7:30 and it's just easier for us to eat after. For most of her demanding life I had to start making dinner after she went down - at least now I can get it going before! I'd really like us to get the eating-together tradition going. The few times she's eaten with us were so much fun. You can just see the enjoyment she gets from it, sittin' up with mom and dad. So last night we sat down for a delicious dinner [real quick I will mention that I learned from a SouleMama post to add a few glugs of balsamic vinegar to your tomato sauce! It is so so good!!]. I even put out placemats, thinking she'd think it was fun. Well within a minute she put the placemat on her head and whined for her tray, only to dump her milk and swish it around with the bits of pasta.

[milk!!!!]


Tonight was going to be a second attempt, but dinner was ready 1 1/2 hours after her bedtime. Man though it was good!! I made Ina Garten's [yes, her again] chicken pot pie from this great food site. Wow, it was amazing. Please please make it. Be forewarned it has a ton of butter. I didn't add as much as it called for and substituted a little olive oil - I'm usually all for full-fat, but this one was over the top. ok! Sorry, long post. By the way, if any of you good friends have some good recipes you want to email on over, I'd love it :)

1 comment:

Emily said...

ooooh, i wanted to make those too. look so pretty and wintery.