11.06.2008

*una sopa

So I made this* amazing soup tonight. It's so great now that Vera is old enough to play and entertain herself while I cook. Tonight I thought it would be fun to have her make her own soup at the same time. I got all her fake food together [I love play food!] with a pot and spoon, and she knew just what to do. She focused for a minute or two on adding ingredients, stirring, tasting [mmmmm] and saying it was hot before she moved on...



*I just cut and pasted this from an email Ben's mom [who is an amazing cook!] sent a few years ago. It is such a yummy yummy soup. And eating kale just makes you feel healthy.

TUSCAN SAUSAGE AND POTATO SOUP
(for 6-8)

Italian sausage, 2 trays cut up into 1 1/2" chunks
(regular or spicy)
[I only used 1/2 and it was plenty]
chicken broth (3-4 qts.)
(I use Knorr bouillon plus water)
4 crushed, minced garlic cloves
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 1/4 tsp. fennel seed
1/2 tsp red chile flakes
10 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed large
3 bunches of kale [I don't know if she meant handfuls? I bought 2 "bunches" and have A TON of kale]
1 pt. half and half or 1 cup whipping cream
[I used whole milk plus a bit o cream]
1 tbsp flour
olive oil

Cook sausage in 2 tbsp. of oil until browned. Pour off most of oil. Saute garlic and onion in olive oil until clear. Add sausage and chicken broth. Stir in Italian seasoning, fennel, and chile flakes. Bring to boil, then turn down to simmer. Cook for 30 - 40 min.

Add potatoes and cook for 10 - 15 more minutes. (Be careful to cook potatoes until just pierce-able. Sometimes I forget and it's not much fun eating potatoes that are already dissolved!)

Thicken milk with flour by making a paste in a small bowl. Add 1 cup of heated broth to bowl, whisking to blend. Stir mixture into the soup and heat through.

Just 5 or so minutes before serving, add kale (I like alot because it's so healthy, so I'll usually put in 2 bunches, saving the third for the next meal.) and heat to wilting.

You could add red bell pepper for color.

We'll call you and Ben later tonight.

Love, Rosie

No comments: